Friday, March 5, 2021

Wake-Up Call

A long time ago, morning coffee established its place in the way I begin my day. Over the years, a succession of coffee makers found a place on various apartment kitchen stoves. Then one Christmas, a gleaming white Corningware coffeemaker that plugged into the wall was under the Christmas tree. Though it was later recalled and banished because of its faulty handle design, mine is still tucked in the corner of a cupboard.

These days, morning coffee is brewed in a Cuisinart and savored in my living room, tucked into the back corner of this old farmhouse that used to be a bedroom.  My morning view is often dark - especially this time of year, and I watch for signs of sunrise in the eastern sky and on the hilltop behind the house. Today the sun reflects on the icy surface of the snow, after a clear night when the moon coming through the windows awakened me from sleep. It was then a night of fitful tossings and unease jumbled together to make for bizarre dreams.

I brought those thoughts with me as I settled  in to watch a little bit of television news. As with the kind of habits known as bad, looking at the morning news menu often starts my day with a peculiar kind of unease.

Channel surfing took me to Fox News where I watched a slick-looking white man interviewing my contemporaries in a jam-packed breakfast spot somewhere in North Carolina. It was at first disturbing because there was not a face mask in sight and they were jammed into the booths and seated at adjacent tables, relishing for their time in the Fox News spotlight.

But after I got beyond that particular optic, I noticed these folks in this southern state were obviously selected to appeal to Fox News audience - white, comfortable or comfortably retired. There was a woman decked out in patriotic sequined Trump paraphernalia, another woman who had recently gotten her hair just a little too dark at the beauty shop, and a booth of the kind of men you used to see at McDonald's in the morning - a couple of handsome white-haired retired businessmen, some crustier looking fellows in Carhartts and one heavy set guy in the front sporting a big black eye.

As could be expected, they were there to share with Fox News America their outrages of the day - immigration, killing babies, the important role that owning an arsenal of guns plays in their lives and the fact that they believe the election was stolen from Trump. 

The slick guy with the microphone had to chime in as he sent it back to the three anchors in the studio. "Lara Trump is one of them. They love her in North Carolina!"

But meanwhile in the real world, a new poll survey by Harvard CAPS-Harris reported that the new Biden administration meets with  the approval of 61 percent of voters, and 31 percent of GOP voters approve of the job being done by the new administration.  Confidence in the economy and in the future of the country are both growing as well.



No comments:

Genetics

 My maternal grandmother, known to all of her grandchildren as Danny and to her friends as Steve, had a thing about revealing her age. That,...