Thursday, April 4, 2024

Genetics

 My maternal grandmother, known to all of her grandchildren as Danny and to her friends as Steve, had a thing about revealing her age. That, of course, was a thing about women of her generation but she took it to great lengths as I remember her cautioning my mother not to reveal her own age as that might tip people off that she (Danny) might be a bit older than the 39 years she claimed. 

It was such a thing that her obituary, which I looked up today, did not mention her age nor her year of birth.


It was then I remembered my mother telling me that Danny had threatened to haunt her if she published her age in the newspaper obituary!

I went in search of the year of my grandmother's high school graduation because of this.

Grace Winifred Stevens

This is her high school graduation picture, found in a box of old family photos I maintain custody of. It reminded me of this photo, also a high school graduation marker.

Jane Elizabeth Heimel
1969


No comments:

Genetics

 My maternal grandmother, known to all of her grandchildren as Danny and to her friends as Steve, had a thing about revealing her age. That,...